Skip to content

Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: St Marys Church and Conference Centre, Bramall Lane, S2 4QZ

Contact: Jay Bell, Democratic Services  Email: jay.bell@sheffield.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:

Minutes:

1.1

Apologies for absence were received from Councillors Ruth Mersereau, Neale Gibson, George Lindars-Hammond, Kaltum Rivers and Bernard Little.

 

 

2.

Exclusion of Public and Press

To identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public

Additional documents:

Minutes:

2.1

No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

 

 

3.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting

Additional documents:

Minutes:

3.1

No declarations of interest were made at the meeting.

 

 

4.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 245 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting of the Area Committee held on 27 September 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

4.1

The minutes of the previous meeting, held on the 27 September were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

5.

Approval of the Central LAC Community Plan 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 1023 KB

a) Presentation by Adeel Zahman, Central Local Area Committee Manager to follow

b) Discussion and approval of the plan

c) Breakout Groups on implementation of the approved plan

d) Summary feedback from the Breakout Groups

Additional documents:

Minutes:

5.1

The Central Area Manager, Adeel Zahman, gave a presentation on the Central Local Area Community Plan 2022/23.

 

5.2

It was mentioned the Community Plan would evolve, as the Council continued to engage with the public.

 

5.3

Local Area Committees (LACs) were a way for the public to be involved and make a difference in their community. LACs gave the public the opportunity to influence decision-making and contribute to positive changes.

 

5.4

It was stated the LACs had a budget of £100,000 to deliver and develop priorities in the areas. There was also a fund of £57,000 allocated to reduce fly tipping and graffiti in the central area.

 

5.5

The presentation explained there was 12 Councillors who represented the Central Local Area Committee. 3 Councillors from each of the 4 wards. The wards were:

  • Hillsborough
  • Walkley
  • Broomhill & Sharrow Vale
  • City

 

5.6

The Central Area Manager explained the Central LAC aimed to improve their engagement with youth residents as only 1% had been engaged so far. Another target group was private and council renting tenants, as most people who responded through the survey was homeowners.

 

5.7

Following engagement activities with residents in the central area, the following 5 priorities were highlighted:

  • Transport & Highways
  • Environment
  • Community & Neighbourhoods
  • Community Safety & Crime
  • Business, Employment & Skills

 

5.8

The presentation outlined an action plan for each of the 5 priority themes.

 

5.9

The Chair thanked the Central Area team for developing the community plan.

 

5.10

RESOLVED: That:-

 

(1)  Approval be given to the Central Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the Central Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

5.11

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to approve the Central LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.

 

5.12

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC will develop a Community Plan.

 

5.13

At the conclusion of the consideration and voting on the Community Plan, a series of breakout groups were organised which comprised members of the public in attendance, a Council officer and a Member of the Committee leading the discussion, to consider the five key themes that had been highlighted in the Community Plan.  The Chair asked each Lead Member of the groups to report back on the discussions held. Feedback were as follows:

 

5.14

Transport and Highways

 

 

  • Sheffield needed better public transport services
  • Needed to look at bus franchising
  • Reduce the amount of pavement parking
  • Needed to be easier routes for people to report local issues

 

5.15  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.

6.

Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.1

The Committee received the following questions and a petition from members of the public in attendance at the meeting.

 

6.2

Manuel Flores

 

 

What was the progress on the active neighbourhoods? Manual had completed a survey for Crookes last summer but had not received any updates since then.

 

The Chair explained that the question would be passed onto the South West LAC to respond, as this fell within their remit.

 

6.3

Eamonn Ward

 

 

Eamonn had requested previously that the ward pot allocations were posted online. The 2020/21 allocations should now have been made therefore can that happen. Also, can the LAC make a big effort to reach all eligible organisations, so they know about the 2022/23 ward pots when they were launched?

 

The Chair mentioned the 2020/21 financial year was still ongoing until end of the month (March 2022). It will then be published on the Council’s webpage.

 

The Chair asked Council officers to look whether there was other appropriate places where the ward pots allocations could be published.

 

6.4

Public Questioner 3

 

 

What information was circulated to local organisations to inform them of the work of their Local LAC and how to access the funding available?

 

The Chair explained these LAC meetings were a main way to get information out to local organisations. As previously mentioned, there was a suggestion box within the venue, the Chair welcomed attendees’ views on how this could be widened to improve the amount of information local organisations received.

 

6.5

Public Petition

 

 

The Committee received a petition containing 167 signatures ‘Requesting an urgent review of traffic management on the roads leading from psalter lane to hunters bar and requesting residents only parking’

 

6.6

RESOLVED: That the petition be forwarded on to the Executive Member for Climate Change, Environment and Transport, Councillor Douglas Johnson

 

 

7.

Transition to Committees pdf icon PDF 634 KB

Presentation by the Assistant Director (Governance)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

7.1

The Head of Democratic Services, Jason Dietsch, gave a presentation on Sheffield City Council’s transition to a committee system.

 

7.2

The presentation explained how the Council was transitioning from a Leader & Cabinet model to a Committee System from May 2022. This was following a referendum, where the public voted for Sheffield to change its governance arrangements.

 

7.3

It was mentioned the Committee System would continue to evolve over the coming months and that there was a review in place, 6 months after implementation.

 

7.4

Stakeholder’s, community groups and other authorities had been called to give evidence and suggestions for designing the new system, in which the Governance Committee considered all aspects before putting forward a final draft for Full Council.

 

7.5

There will be 7 themed Policy Committees, each with a Chair and each politically proportionate. It was added that there will also be a Strategy & Resources Committee, chaired by the Leader of the Council, which dealt with cross cutting issues.

 

7.6

In the new system, LACs will report to Full Council. LACs can also refer decisions to the relevant policy committee in the new system.

 

7.7

The Head of Democratic Services referred to the Public Engagement Toolkit which highlighted a ‘menu of options’ which each committee could consider to ensure public were in the centre of decision making.

 

 

8.

Decisions Taken by the Community Services Manager for Noting pdf icon PDF 349 KB

Report of the Community Services Manager

Additional documents:

Minutes:

8.1

RESOLVED: That the expenditure against the £100,000 budget to address local priorities in the Central LAC in 2021/22, as detailed in the report, was noted.