Skip to content

Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: Sheffield Park Academy, Beaumont Road North, Sheffield, S2 1SN

Contact: Jay Bell, Democratic Services  Email: jay.bell@sheffield.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:

Minutes:

1.1

An apology for absence were received from Councillor Mazher Iqbal.

 

 

2.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

To Identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

2.1

No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

 

 

3.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

3.1

No declarations of interest were made at the meeting.

 

 

4.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 254 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 22 September 2021

Additional documents:

Minutes:

4.1

The minutes of the previous meeting, held on the 22 September were agreed as an accurate record.

 

 

5.

Transition to Committees pdf icon PDF 634 KB

Presentation by the Assistant Director (Governance)

Additional documents:

Minutes:

5.1

The Assistant Director (Governance), Alexander Polak, gave a presentation on Sheffield City Council’s transition to a committee system.

5.2

The presentation explained how the Council was transitioning from a Cabinet Leader model to a Committee System from May 2022. This was following a referendum, where the public voted for Sheffield to change its governance arrangements.

 

5.3

It was mentioned that the draft arrangements, put forward by the Governance Committee, had been agreed unanimously by Full Council at their extraordinary meeting on the 23 March 2022.

 

5.4

The Leader of the Council, post May 2022, will not have individual decision-making power. Decisions would now be made within political proportionate committees.

 

5.5

There will be 7 themed Policy Committees, each with a Chair and each politically proportionate. It was added that there will also be a Strategy & Resources Committee, chaired by the Leader of the Council, which dealt with cross cutting issues.

 

5.6

It was highlighted that LAC’s are key and remained part of the new system. LAC’s will report to Full Council and can also refer issues to a relevant policy committee.

 

5.7

The Assistant Director (Governance) referred to the Public Engagement Toolkit which highlighted a ‘menu of options’ which each committee could consider when engaging with the public.

 

 

6.

Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

6.1

The Committee received the following questions from members of the public in attendance at the meeting.

 

6.2

Neil Cardwell

 

 

1) How many residents will the Park Hill Parking Scheme effect?

 

2) How many complaints had the Council received regarding parking in this area?

 

3) How many complaints had the Council received regarding parking on Ingram Road?

 

A written response would be provided for these questions.

 

6.3

Rosalie Hill

 

 

In relation to the Park Hill Parking Scheme, it was mentioned that the proposal reduced the number of available spaces outside (park hill community group building?). There was also none no waiting restrictions or provision for disabled parking. It was suggested that a parking charge be implemented.

 

6.4

Allison Rossiter

 

 

In relation to the Park Hill Parking Scheme, Allison Rossiter believed that residents had not received a proper opportunity to be a part of the democratic process of assessing to what extent what parking changes were needed. It was asked what would be needed to get the Council to suspend this scheme, until they consult with affected residents?

 

Alison Rossiter referred to a petition that she had produced to ‘Abandon the Park Hill Parking Scheme (incl. Norfolk Park, Manor Castle & Arbourthorne)’ and that the petition had received over 100 signatures within the first 24 hours.

 

The Chair explained the petition could be presented at the East LAC or Full Council once the petition was completed.

 

6.5

Public Questioner 4

 

 

In relation to the Park Hill Parking Scheme, it was stated the scheme affected other areas in the city and that those other areas had not received information about the parking scheme. It was added that residents had tried to arrange meeting with Highways Officers although they had ben unsuccessful so far.

 

6.6

David Cobley

 

 

In relation to the Park Hill Parking Scheme, it was asked if the deadline date issued by the Traffic Regulation Order (TOR) could be removed, or extended until after further consultation with affected residents?

 

6.7

N J Hill

 

 

In relation to the Park Hill Parking Scheme, it was asked if the speed cameras on Donnington Road were linked to the TOR?

 

6.8

In response to public questions regarding the Park Hill Parking Scheme, Councillor Terry Fox stated the Council can always learn from situations such as this and the scheme could have been handled better. The request for parking came pre-covid when we had Phase 2 & 3 of the Park Hill Development ongoing, plus the added pressure of out of town parking on a number of roads.  Then covid hit, and officers came up with a scheme on which we have gone out to consultation to see whether it was something that the residents wanted.  Obviously this is an open consultation process, we will analyse the feedback to that consultation and nothing will be done until at least mid-Summer when we should have a breakdown of the consultation and all the comments from residents.

 

 

7.

Approval of the East LAC Community Plan 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 1 MB

a) Presentation by Huda Ahmed, East Local Area Committee Manager 

 

b) Discussion and approval of the plan

 

c) Breakout Groups on implementation of the approved plan

 

d) Summary feedback from the Breakout Groups

 

Additional documents:

Decision:

6.1

The Terms of Reference for Local Area Committees (LACs) provide that each LAC must agree a Community Plan setting priorities for the area of the committee, monitor delivery of that plan and keep it under review, and that the decisions it makes in relation to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

Through public consultation, the East LAC has developed a draft Community Plan that seeks to identify the key issues within the area, and develop a series of priorities that will inform the direction of the LAC, and direct the spending of delegated budgets, where the LAC has authority to do so.

 

This Report recommends the approval of the draft East Community Plan, attached as an Appendix to this report.

 

 

6.2

RESOLVED: That:-

 

(1)  Approval be given to the East Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the East Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

6.3

Reasons for Decision

 

The proposal to approve the East LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.

 

 

6.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC

will develop a Community Plan.

 

 

6.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

6.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

6.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

6.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

 

Minutes:

7.1

The East Area Manager, Huda Ahmed, gave a presentation on the East Local Area Community Plan 2022/23.

 

7.2

Local Area Committees were a way for people to get involved in making a difference to their community.

 

7.3

It was explained there was 12 Councillors who represented the East Local Area Committee. 3 Councillors from each of the 4 wards. The wards were:

  • Park & Arbourthorne
  • Darnall
  • Manor Castle
  • Richmond

 

7.4

The Community Plan was put together following consultation with residents, partners and communities. The following 6 priorities were identified.

  • Environment
  • Community Safety & Crime
  • Community & Neighbourhoods
  • Children & Young People
  • Transport & Highways
  • Health & Wellbeing

 

7.5

The presentation highlighted the action plans for the 6 key priorities. It was added that task and finish groups would be led by members working with LAC officers to drive the community plan and produce a more specific delivery plan.

 

7.6

It was stated that the East Local Area Committee had a budget of £100,000. There was also a £57,000 budget to reduce fly tipping and graffiti in the area.

 

7.7

The East Local Area Committee would continue to engage and consult with communities. They would also provide an annual report on the community plan highlighting what progress had been made on the 6 key priorities.

 

7.8

RESOLVED: That:-

 

(1)  Approval be given to the East Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the East Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

7.9

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to approve the East LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.

 

7.10

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC will develop a Community Plan.

 

7.11

At the conclusion of the consideration and voting on the Community Plan, a series of breakout groups were organised which comprised members of the public in attendance, a Council officer and a Member of the Committee leading the discussion, to consider the key themes that had been highlighted in the Community Plan.  The Chair asked each Lead Member of the groups to report back on the discussions held. 

During the breakout session each table was asked to consider the following questions:

 

1.    How could you be involved in delivering some of the actions mentioned in the plan?

2.    How do you think we can involve people in the community – what methods do we use?

3.    How do we work collectively together with officers, members, and local people on delivering the actions?

4.    How do you  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.

Response to Public Questions pdf icon PDF 105 KB

Additional documents: