Skip to content

Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: EIS (English Institute of Sport) , Coleridge Road, Sheffield S9 5DA

Items
No. Item

1.

Meet and Greet

Consideration of the formal business items will commence at 6.30pm, however, there will be an opportunity to meet Councillors and the East Local Area Committee Team from 6.00pm, when the doors open and during the networking item on the agenda.

Minutes:

1.1

There was an opportunity for members of the public to meet the Councillors and the Local Area Team.

 

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

2.1

An apology for absence were received from Councillor’s David Barker, Terry Fox, Mazher Iqbal, Sophie Wilson, Mike Drabble and Jack Scott.

 

3.

Exclusion of the Press and Public

To Identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Minutes:

3.1

No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

 

 

4.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Minutes:

4.1

There were no declarations of interest made at the meeting.

 

 

5.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 9 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 19 May 2021.

Minutes:

5.1

The minutes of the meeting held on 19th May 2021 were approved as a correct record.

 

6.

Authorisation of the East Area Committee Manager to take decisions on behalf of the Committee pdf icon PDF 351 KB

Report of the Head of Service for Communities.

Decision:

7.1

The Community Services Manager, submitted a report setting out the mechanism for the Local Area Committee to enable decisions to be taken quickly and to respond to emerging issues by authorising the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure between Committee meetings, subject to certain conditions.

 

 

7.2

RESOLVED: That the East Local Area Committee authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure from any budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee provided that:

 

·       The decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair or in his/her absence the Deputy Chair

·       Spending is in line with any specific purposes of the allocated budget

·       The decision may not approve expenditure of more than £5,000

·       A report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.

 

7.3

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to authorise decisions on any budgets allocated to the Committee can be discharged, in part, by the Community Services Manager will ensure the Committees can respond quickly to emerging local issues.

 

 

7.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

All decisions relating to budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee

could be decided at Formal Committee Meetings only. Whilst this approach would ensure the involvement of all members of the committee, it would mean that decisions to allocate spending for emerging and urgent local issues may not be made in a timely fashion.

 

7.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

7.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

7.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

7.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

 

Minutes:

6.1

The Community Services Manager, submitted a report setting out the mechanism for the Local Area Committee to enable decisions to be taken quickly and to respond to emerging issues by authorising the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure between Committee meetings, subject to certain conditions.

 

 

6.2

RESOLVED: That the East Local Area Committee authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure from any budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee provided that:

 

·       The decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair or in his/her absence the Deputy Chair

·       Spending is in line with any specific purposes of the allocated budget

·       The decision may not approve expenditure of more than £5,000

·       A report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.

 

6.3

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to authorise decisions on any budgets allocated to the Committee can be discharged, in part, by the Community Services Manager will ensure the Committees can respond quickly to emerging local issues.

 

 

6.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

All decisions relating to budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee

could be decided at Formal Committee Meetings only. Whilst this approach would ensure the involvement of all members of the committee, it would mean that decisions to allocate spending for emerging and urgent local issues may not be made in a timely fashion.

 

6.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

6.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

6.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

6.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

 

7.

Local Area Committees - Empowering Communities pdf icon PDF 362 KB

To receive an overview presentation from the Local Area Committee Manager.

Minutes:

7.1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.2

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

7.3

The Local Area Committee Manager, Huda Ahmed, gave a presentation on empowering communities. The presentation covered:

 

  • What the Local Area Committee would do in terms of engaging, empowering and enabling residents and community organisation on topics of local interest. It would use a range of communication methods both physically and digitally. The committee would engage with the areas residents to empower them to become part of the solution with emerging issues.
  • That Each Local Area Committee has been allocated £100,000 to spend in line with their community plans along with doubling Ward pots and access to the Fly-tipping and Graffiti budget.
  • The Local Area Team would use different communication methods to update members of the public and actively listen to feedback and results from the surveys to help their understanding of what the priorities were in the local area.
  • For anyone who wanted to get involved, The Local Area Team encouraged the public to; share their contact details and become a part of the contact database, complete online surveys, attend community events/workshops and to get in touch with the Local Area Team to share any feedback.

 

The Local Area Committee Manager introduced the East Local Area Committee team, they included;

 

  • Lorraine Wood – Head of Service
  • Huda Ahmed – Local Area Committee Manager
  • Scott Ford – Community Services Officer
  • Abby Wilson – Community Services Officer
  • James Dabell – Project Support Officer

 

RESOLVED:- that the Local Area Committee noted the presentation.

 

8.

Public Questions and Petitions pdf icon PDF 191 KB

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Minutes:

8.1

The Committee received the following questions from members of the public who had submitted questions prior to the meeting, and who were in attendance to raise them: -

 

(a)    John Wills

 

Who has responsibility for local funding regarding adult education? Is it the Council, Mayoral Authority, or both?

 

The Chair confirmed it was the Mayoral Authority.

 

(b)    Brian Coleman

 

Will there be plans to appoint recognised community hubs as places of welcome?

 

The Head of Communities stated that the Council had began to look at places of welcome across the city as a wider piece of work.

 

(c)    Public Questioner 3

 

What is the timescale for having community plans in place in Darnall ward?

 

The Local Area Committee Manager explained the aim was to have a discussion on community plans and priorities at the next meeting of the Local Area Committee (LAC), in January 2022.

 

(d)    Public Questioner 4

 

Will the budget of £100,000 be split evenly across all 4 wards?

 

The Chair stated that the £100,000 was accessible to all 4 wards although they may be certain wards that had specific plans that take priority therefore could spend more money than other wards.

 

(e)    Public Questioner 5

 

How much money is in the Fly-Tipping and Graffiti budget?

 

The Chair explained that there was a budget of £700,000 city wide and that £58,000 was accessible to each LAC.

 

(f)    Public Questioner 6

 

1. Does the salary of the Local Area Team come out of the LAC budget?

 

2. Is it possible to carry over any of the budget into the next financial year?

 

In response to question 1, the Chair confirmed that no salaries were to come out of the LAC budget.

 

In response to question 2, the Head of Communities advised that she had requested any unused budget be carried over and that she would report back to the LAC once confirmed.

 

(g)    Public Questioner 7

 

How does the LAC intend to involve the faith sector into their plans?

 

The Local Area Committee Manager stated that the LAC would use different methods of communication to engage with as many groups as possible i.e., surveys and workshops. It was also mentioned that the LAC was hoping that the different groups attending the LAC meetings would feed information back to increase engagement. Also, it was advised for anyone part of a group that felt they were not engaged, to speak at the LAC meeting and share their thoughts on how the LACs could improve engagement.

 

(h)   Public Questioner 8

 

Will the LAC have access to the £100,000 budget each year?

 

The Chair explained that each year the LAC would receive a budget of £100,000 and the Head of Communities was requesting that remaining budget be carried over.

 

(i)     Public Questioner 9

 

Can members of the public request that facilities be opened and used by young people.

 

The Chair advised that this could be included in the agreement of community plans for January 2022 if members of the public  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.

9.

Opportunity to Network and complete survey

Minutes:

9.1

There was an opportunity for attendees to network and complete a survey produced by the Local Area Team. Attendees were also encouraged to take part in an exercise where they could make comments on their local area.