Skip to content

Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: Concord Sports Centre, Shiregreen Lane, Sheffield, S5 6AE

Items
No. Item

1.

2.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

1.1

Apologies for absence were received from Councillor Tony Damms.

 

3.

Exclusion of Public and Press

To identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Minutes:

2.1

No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the public and press.

 

4.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Minutes:

3.1

There were no declarations of interest.

 

5.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 9 KB

To approve the minutes of the Committee held on 19 May 2021.

Minutes:

4.1

The minutes of meetings of the Committee held on 19th May and 7th July 2021 were approved as correct records.

 

6.

Authorisation of the Community Services Manager to take decisions on behalf of the Committee pdf icon PDF 352 KB

Decision:

7.1

The Community Services Manager, submitted a report setting out the mechanism for the Local Area Committee to enable decisions to be taken quickly and to respond to emerging issues by authorising the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure between Committee meetings, subject to certain conditions.

 

 

7.2

RESOLVED: That the North East Local Area Committee authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure from any budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee provided that:

 

·       The decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair

·       Spending is in line with any specific purposes of the allocated budget

·       The decision may not approve expenditure of more than £5,000

·       A report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.

 

7.3

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to authorise decisions on any budgets allocated to the Committee can be discharged, in part, by the Community Services Manager will ensure the Committees can respond quickly to emerging local issues.

 

 

7.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

All decisions relating to budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee

could be decided at Formal Committee Meetings only. Whilst this approach would ensure the involvement of all members of the committee, it would mean that decisions to allocate spending for emerging and urgent local issues may not be made in a timely fashion.

 

7.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

7.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

7.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

7.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

 

Minutes:

5.1

The Community Services Manager submitted a report setting out the mechanism for the Local Area Committee to enable decisions to be taken quickly and to respond to emerging issues by authorising the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure between Committee meetings, subject to certain conditions.

 

 

5.2

RESOLVED: That the North East Local Area Committee authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure from any budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee provided that:

 

·       The decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair

·       Spending is in line with any specific purposes of the allocated budget

·       The decision may not approve expenditure of more than £5,000

·       A report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.

 

5.3

Reasons for Decision

 

 

The proposal to authorise decisions on any budgets allocated to the Committee can be discharged, in part, by the Community Services Manager will ensure the Committees can respond quickly to emerging local issues.

 

 

5.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

All decisions relating to budgets allocated to the Local Area Committee could be decided at Formal Committee Meetings only. Whilst this approach would ensure the involvement of all members of the committee, it would mean that decisions to allocate spending for emerging and urgent local issues may not be made in a timely fashion.

 

5.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

5.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

5.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

5.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

 

 

7.

Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Minutes:

6.1

The Committee received the following questions from members of the public who were in attendance to raise them: -

 

 

(a)      Public Questioner 1:

 

Can regular, seasonal clearing of leaves from footpaths in the Firth Park area be funded via the North East Local Area Committee?

 

In response, the Chair stated that he was aware of ‘hotspots’ within the area and this issue would be addressed within newly established working groups. The working groups would give the opportunity to work collectively and collate information about issues of concern. The Chair also asked that members of the public continue to report incidents to their local Councillor who would liaise with Amey as appropriate.

 

Councillor Abtisam Mohamed added that she had been in discussions with Amey with the aim of forward planning for clearing of leaves.

 

(b)      Public Questioner 2:

 

Can some of the North East Local Area Committee budget be used towards investing in rodent control in the Firth Park area?

 

The Chair noted that this was an issue that also affects other areas within the North East Area Committee. He advised the speaker that he had raised these concerns with Yorkshire Water and that ward councillors continued to flag incidents with the Council’s Pest Control Service where necessary.

 

(c)      Public Questioner 3:

 

A member of the public echoed concerns about rodent problems at a number of locations within the Firth Park ward.

 

The Chair noted these concerns and re-iterated that all issues raised would be considered within the new working groups.

 

Councillor Abtisam Mohamed added that Firth Park councillors are working collectively for constituents and wished to reassure the questioner that pest control was a key priority. She confirmed that she would be liaising with local TARA’s to discuss options.

 

Lindsey Hill added that an enquiry sheet was available for all those present to put forward their issues and also fill in the survey which would be fed into the North East Local Area Committee Community Plan.

 

(d)      Public Questioner 4:

 

Neglect and lack of regeneration is an issue in the Parson Cross area. What can be done to address this and to provide some positive outcomes for young people in the area? Local councillors had failed to respond to her concerns during ‘lockdown’.

 

In response, the Chair noted that anti-social behaviour had become a concern in the area and advised that youth services had been stretched across the whole of Sheffield. He offered assurance that the new working groups would provide a forum to consider this issue. In particular, he expressed his wish to work with local schools and involve Councillor Jayne Dunn (Ward Councillor for Southey and Executive Member for Education, Children and Families) in considering priorities for young people. He also reminded those present of how to contact the North East Local Area Committee team to report concerns.

 

(e)      Public Questioner 5:

 

Can prior notice be given of grass cutting on Council owned land? Litter pickers are often faced with broken bottles  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.