Agenda, decisions and minutes

South Local Area Committee - Wednesday 16 March 2022 6.00 pm

Venue: Meadowhead School, Dyche Lane, Sheffield, S8 8BR

Contact: Jennie Skiba, Democratic Services  Email:


No. Item


Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:



An apology for absence was received from Councillor Alison Teal.





Exclusion of the Press and Public

To identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Additional documents:



No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the public and press.





Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Additional documents:



There were no declarations of interest.





Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 354 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 13th October, 2021.

Additional documents:



The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 13th October, 2021, were approved as a correct record.







Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Additional documents:



The Committee received the following questions from members of the public who had submitted questions prior to the meeting, and who were in attendance to raise them:-




Question 1


I wrote to the City Council a few years ago asking that a 20mph speed limit be imposed on Folds Lane.  The Council never got back to me regarding my request, but recently I have noticed that a number of roads at Greenhill have been designated 20mph.  Traffic travels along Folds Lane and surrounding roads at 30 to 40mph sometimes, so I should like to request again that these roads be designated 20mph.




In response, the Chair said that he would find out what the current position was regarding Folds Lane and get back to the questioner as soon as possible.




Question 2 – Callum Wilson-Smith


Asked the question regarding the level of litter around where he lives.  He said he lived on Vincent Road and there was a huge problem with litter on his road and also on the Lansdowne estate.  He said that fly tipping wasn’t a problem but the lack of litter bins on the estate contributed to the amount of litter.  He said that when the estate was developed, it was for single occupants but that has changed.  He has been informed that it was too expensive to provide litter bins.  He asked what could be done to improve the situation, what would be the cost incurred and to find out what was seen as a priority? He stated he had also submitted an FOI in relation to these issues and was awaiting a response.




In response, the Chair stated that the issue of litter was part of the Local Plan and from a Local Area Committee perspective, the Committee would look into taking community action. Acknowledging that an FOI has also been submitted, the Chair said he would request a response to any outstanding issues.




Question 3


(a)  With regard to 20mph zones, the Council states that it would enforce them “where appropriate”.  It was felt that this was a cop out.  She wanted 20mph zones to be enforced to reduce air pollution.  She also wanted to raise awareness around schools benefitting from 20mph zones, as some schools, but not all, have the schemes in place.




(b)  There was no mention in the Draft Community Plan regarding housing.  She felt that there was an issue around repairs not being carried out not only in Council-owned rented properties but also in the private sector.




In response, the Chair stated that the Committee was keen to make sure that there was safe parking around all schools.  With regard to housing, these issues are not within the scope of the LAC Plan and Members have been campaigning for the Council to do more with regard to repairs.  He said that due to the fact that it was a citywide challenge, there wasn’t much that the LAC could do for the time being, but it may  ...  view the full minutes text for item 5.


Sheffield Councils transition to a Committee System pdf icon PDF 544 KB

Presentation by Gillian Duckworth, Head of Legal and Governance.

Additional documents:



The Committee received a presentation given by Craig Rogerson, Principal Committee Secretary, Democratic Services, which   outlined the changes to the Council’s Committee System.  He stated that in May 2021 a public referendum voted to change the Council’s governance structure to a committee system in May 2022. The  Local Area Committees, as well as Transitional Committees were created at that same time.  Craig Rogerson said that a public inquiryhad been held to gather evidence and design the new committee system.  The aim was to put the voice of residents at the heart of decisions about Sheffield.  He outlined  the system that was in place now and what it would look like from May, 2022.  Craig Rogerson set out out how decisions would be made as follows:-


·                Local Area Committees would continue to develop as currently – the new committee system doesn’t change the plans for ways of working locally.

          LACs can refer issues to any and all policy committees (previously referred to cabinet).


·                The new Policy Committees - Cross-party, politically proportionate setting, whole committee accountable.

          All political groups involved in policy development .

          Use of a new ‘toolkit’ of public engagement options.

          More plans to improve the way the whole council involves the public, partners, stakeholders, communities in policy development and decisions.


The Public Engagement Toolkit should be used by each committee when considering its ‘menu of options’ for ensuring the voice of the public has been central to their policy development work.




Councillor Peter Garbutt said that he was a Member of the Governance Committee and was particularly keen on public engagement. He said there were many ways that the Council could engage with the public and it was important that the public know how and where to get involved.  Councillor Garbutt stated that the LACs would be taking the decisions forward to the new Committees.




A member of the public asked how the Committees were structured, where they selected or randomly appointed?




In response, the Chair stated that each Political Party nominate Members to serve on every Committee and the Chairs and Deputy Chairs of Committees are appointed at the meeting of the Annual Council held in May each year.





Approval of the South Local Area Committee Community Plan 2022/23 pdf icon PDF 2 MB

(a)      Presentation and Report by Diane Owens, South Local Area Manager.

(b)      Discussion and approval of the approved Plan

(c)      Breakout groups on implementation of the approved Plan

(d)      Summary feedback from the breakout rooms.

Additional documents:



The Terms of Reference for Local Area Committees (LACs) provide that each LAC must agree a Community Plan setting priorities for the area of the committee, monitor delivery of that plan and keep it under review, and that the decisions it makes in relation to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.


Through public consultation, the South LAC has developed a draft Community Plan that seeks to identify the key issues within the area, and develop a series of priorities that will inform the direction of the LAC, and direct the spending of delegated budgets, where the LAC has authority to do so.


This Report recommends the approval of the draft South Community Plan, attached as an Appendix to this report.






(1)  Approval be given to the South Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the South Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.



Reasons for Decision


The proposal to approve the South LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.




Alternatives Considered and Rejected


None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC

will develop a Community Plan.




Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted






Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration






Respective Director Responsible for Implementation


Executive Director People Services




Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In



Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee





The Committee received a presentation from Diane Owens, Community Services Manager.  Diane Owens referred to the Online Consultation Meeting which had been held in January, 2022. She said that following conversations held with some 2,000 residents and businesses, feedback from this had been reviewed and data had been looked at to establish the positives but also the concerns raised by communities.  Diane Owens said that sessions had been held in each of the four Electoral Wards within the South area, with the voluntary, community and faith sector and local groups to discuss the draft Community Plan and asked for their contributions and comments on the Plan with feedback from those meetings being taking back to Members of the Committee to develop the Plan now set out at this meeting.  She outlined the six key themes that the Plan would be based around, these being the Environment and Green Spaces; Transport and Highways; Community Safety and Crime; Communities; Employment and Skills and Children, Young People and Families.  She acknowledged that the Plan was quite high level and that more detailed work was still needed to identify where the hotspots were in the area and where particular issues would need to be focused on.  Diane Owens stated that the Plan was all about working in partnership with communities, and partners e.g. Police and Members of the Committee.




Diane Owens summarised each of the key themes set out the Community Plan and stated that more detail was set out in the Plan.  She then referred to the budget stating that the South LAC has a dedicated budget of £100,000 for the year 2022-23 and would be able to influence a Council budget of around £57,000 for targeted work around fly tipping and tackling graffiti.  Diane Owens said that Ward Councillors would over also oversee two local budgets, being ward pots and Community Infrastructure Levy, which could potentially support some of the activities outlined in the Community Plan.  Finally, Diane Owens set out the next steps stating that the South Local Area Committee would work to deliver the projects and priorities set out in the Plan adding that there was a commitment to work with partners, and that the committee would continue to listen and connect with communities and that there would be a minimum of four public meetings a year to listen to what the community had to say and to provide an update on the Community Plan, Diane added that the Team could be contacted at any time via the details set out on the South LAC webpage.




The Chair thanked Diane Owens for her presentation and all the hard work the Team had carried out to develop the Plan. 




RESOLVED: That the South Local Area Community Plan be agreed.




Reasons for the decision




The proposal to approve the South LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues  ...  view the full minutes text for item 7.