Skip to content

Agenda, decisions and draft minutes

Venue: The Birley Academy, Birley Lane, Sheffield, S12 3BP

Contact: Fiona Martinez, Democratic Services  Email:


No. Item


Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:



Councillor Tony Downing welcomed the public and gave an overview of the format of the meeting. Fiona Martinez gave housekeeping information. Councillors and Officers in attendance introduced themselves. Apologies were received from Councillor Bryan Lodge, Councillor Bob McCann, Councillor Mick Rooney, Councillor Chris Rosling-Josephs, Councillor Gail Smith and Councillor Paul Wood.



Exclusion of the Press and Public

To identify where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Additional documents:



There were no items which required the exclusion of the press or public.



Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Additional documents:



There were no items which required the exclusion of the press or public.



Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 161 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting of the committee held on 28th September 2021.

Additional documents:



The minutes of the previous meeting, held on the 28th of September 2022, were agreed.



Approval of the South East LAC Community Plan 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 274 KB

a. Presentation by Jayne Foulds South East Local Area Committee Manager

b. Discussion and approval of the Plan

c. Breakout Groups on implementation of the approved Plan

d. Summary feedback from the breakout rooms

Additional documents:



The Terms of Reference for Local Area Committees (LACs) provide that each LAC must agree a Community Plan setting priorities for the area of the committee, monitor delivery of that plan and keep it under review, and that the decisions it makes in relation to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.


Through public consultation, the South East LAC has developed a draft Community Plan that seeks to identify the key issues within the area, and develop a series of priorities that will inform the direction of the LAC, and direct the spending of delegated budgets, where the LAC has authority to do so.


This Report recommends the approval of the draft South East Community Plan, attached as an Appendix to this report.






(1)  Approval be given to the South East Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the South East Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.



Reasons for Decision


The proposal to approve the South East LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.




Alternatives Considered and Rejected


None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC

will develop a Community Plan.




Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted






Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration






Respective Director Responsible for Implementation


Executive Director People Services




Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In



Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

















































Jayne Foulds, South East Local Area Committee Manager, gave a presentation on the South East LAC Community Plan 2022-23. She began by outlining the purpose of the South East LAC, gave an overview of the demographic of the South East area and discussed the budget available for the South East area. Jayne gave an overview of the breakout groups which would be taking place, connected to issues raised by residents in the South East in previous LAC meetings. Jayne discussed a number of issues which had been raised by those living in the South East, including speeding vehicles, a lack of speed limits, fear of crime, social isolation, lack of confidence in the Police, challenges experienced when using the 111 number and the decline in community groups following the pandemic. Jayne encouraged members of the public to feed into the delivery plan for the Community Plan and asked that those in the break out rooms make suggestions on how this plan might be implemented best.


Pat Knox wanted to ask a question regarding the LAC. He said he had seen figures which indicated that 25% of those living in the area were living in deprivation, and he wished to express his sadness at this. He asked how the £100,000 budget compared to other LAC budgets. Secondly, regarding speeding he asked whether the speeding review in Mosborough ward had produced any results yet. Nik Hamilton responded to question one and stated that each LAC had been given £100,000. Jayne Foulds responded to question two and stated that the consultation had recently closed. She said there had been around 282 responses which were being compiled and which would be shared at a later date. Mr Knox asked whether information had been gathered on how many of those who were living in deprivation had taken part in the consultation. Jayne Foulds stated that this information had not been recorded.


RESOLVED: That the South East Community Plan 2022-23 be approved.


Breakout sessions took place on the subjects of Community Safety and Crime, Transport and Highways and Environment.



Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Additional documents:
















































A statement was made to reconsider and reverse the decision to introduce a Lidl store at the corner of Rotherham Road. The questioner stated that there were already 15 food stores in the area, and they added that Rotherham Council had objected to the introduction of this store and had suggested a different site to the one proposed. The questioner stated that requests had been made to the Planning Committee before a decision was made. They said that residents had not been invited to provide feedback on the proposals. Councillor Downing stated that he would refer this to the Planning Committee and said that he acted as a Substitute Member of the Planning Committee. He stated that issues other than the number of stores already in the area would need to be raised in order to prevent the building of the store.


A question was asked regarding staff costs for the running of the LAC, and how much of the £100,000 LAC funding went towards this. Councillor Downing said an answer would be provided on this. Nik Hamilton stated that the cost of staff did not come from the £100,000 given to each LAC.


A question was asked regarding representation at LACs. The questioner asked what had been done since the previous LAC to widen engagement with young people and those from deprived areas. The questioner asked what measurements were being used to consider the effectiveness of the LAC. Jayne Foulds stated that there had been engagement with community forums, and she added that she had taken various suggestions on how to go out and encourage engagement. Councillor Denise Fox stated that the schools had recently put together a Youth Council and she suggested that they be invited to the next LAC either to participate or observe. Jayne stated that there could perhaps be Key Performance Indicators to try to measure the success of the LAC, and she stated she was open to suggestions from members of the public.


A question was asked regarding the possibility of the LAC meetings operate as hybrid meetings. Nik Hamilton stated hybrid meetings were on the agenda but added that the process was challenging. Alex Polak stated that the Council was working to introduce meeting types made more familiar throughout the pandemic and added that the process might take time.



Transition to Committees pdf icon PDF 778 KB

Report by the Assistant Director Governance.

Additional documents:


















Alex Polak, Assistant Director of Legal and Governance, was in attendance to give an overview of the Council’s Transition to Committee process. Alex gave an overview of the Council’s existing system before outlining the new Committee System being introduced.


Alex stated that the LACs would report to the Full Council meeting and would operate alongside the policy committees. He added that the role of LACs would not change as part of the Committee System.


Alex said that decision making would encourage all Councillors to consider the benefit to the public and the voice of residents when making any decision.



Decisions Taken by the Community Services Manager for Noting pdf icon PDF 354 KB

Report of the Communities Services Manager.

Additional documents:



RESOLVED: The report was noted.



Date of Next Meeting

Additional documents:



A specific date could not be given; however, attendees were informed that the meeting would be in June 2022.