Skip to content

Agenda, decisions and minutes

Venue: Tapton Masonic Hall, Shore Lane, Sheffield, S10 3BU

Contact: John Turner, Democratic Services  Email: john.turner@sheffield.gov.uk

Media

Items
No. Item

1.

Apologies for Absence

Additional documents:

Minutes:

1.1

An apology for absence was received from Councillor Colin Ross.

 

 

 

 

2.

Exclusion of Public and Press

To identify items where resolutions may be moved to exclude the press and public.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

2.1

No items were identified where resolutions may be moved to exclude the public and press.

 

 

 

 

3.

Declarations of Interest pdf icon PDF 129 KB

Members to declare any interests they have in the business to be considered at the meeting.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

3.1

There were no declarations of interest.

 

 

 

 

4.

Minutes of Previous Meeting pdf icon PDF 219 KB

To approve the minutes of the Committee Held on 16 September 2021.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

4.1

The minutes of the meeting of the Committee held on 16th September 2021, were approved as a correct record.

 

 

 

 

5.

Transition to Committees pdf icon PDF 778 KB

Report of the Transition to Committees Project.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

5.1

The Committee received a presentation from Craig Rogerson (Democratic Services) on Sheffield's new committee system which, subject to approval by the Council, would become effective from May 2022.

 

 

5.2

Mr Rogerson referred to the reasons for the change to the Council’s governance structure, and the work undertaken so far. He stated that the principal aim of the new structure was to put the voice of residents at the heart of the decision-making process, and that a report on the new arrangements was to be considered at an extraordinary meeting of the Council to be held on 23rd March, 2022.

 

 

5.3

Mr Rogerson highlighted the proposed changes to the Council’s governance structure, indicating that there was to be a move from the current leader/Co-operative Executive model to a system of multiple new policy committees, which would have cross-party membership, with the regulatory committees and Local Area Committees remaining. He referred to the new toolkit to be used by the new policy committees, which contained a list of 12 options relating to how they proposed to engage with the public.

 

 

5.4

Councillor Sue Alston, as a member of the Governance Committee, which had been involved in the change process, stated that the Committee had spent a considerable amount of time listening to what the public wanted in terms of a committee system which fully engaged with local residents.

 

 

5.5

The Committee noted the information reported as part of the presentation now made.

 

 

 

 

6.

Approval of the South West Local Area Community Plan 2022-23 pdf icon PDF 271 KB

a.    Presentation by Denise Devoto, South West Local Area Committee Manager

b.    Breakout groups on implementation of the approved Plan.

c.     Summary feedback from the breakout rooms.

d.    Discussion and approval of the Plan by Members.

Additional documents:

Decision:

6.1

The Terms of Reference for Local Area Committees (LACs) provide that each LAC must agree a Community Plan setting priorities for the area of the committee, monitor delivery of that plan and keep it under review, and that the decisions it makes in relation to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

Through public consultation, the South West LAC has developed a draft Community Plan that seeks to identify the key issues within the area, and develop a series of priorities that will inform the direction of the LAC, and direct the spending of delegated budgets, where the LAC has authority to do so.

 

This Report recommends the approval of the draft South West Community Plan, attached as an Appendix to this report.

 

 

6.2

RESOLVED:That:-

 

(1)  Approval be given to the South West Community Plan as a statement of the priorities of the area;

(2)  Authority be given to the Community Services Manager to produce a final version of the Community Plan document, incorporating any amendments approved by the LAC at this meeting, and to publish it on the webpages of the South West Local Area Committee; and

(3)  Notes that future LAC decisions relating to funding must fit with the priorities set out in the Community Plan and following engagement with the community.

 

6.3

Reasons for Decision

 

The proposal to approve the South West LAC Community Plan is recommended on the basis that the Plan provides a clear framework in how the LAC will direct it’s resources to address key issues identified through community consultation.

 

 

6.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

None. A key element in establishing LACs is the principle that each LAC

will develop a Community Plan.

 

 

6.5

Any Interest Declared or Dispensation Granted

 

 

None

 

6.6

Reason for Exemption if Public/Press Excluded During Consideration

 

 

None

 

6.7

Respective Director Responsible for Implementation

 

Executive Director People Services

 

 

6.8

Relevant Scrutiny and Policy Development Committee If Decision Called In

 

 

Overview and Scrutiny Management Committee

 

 

Minutes:

6.1

The Committee received a presentation from Denise Devoto (South West Local Area Committee Manager) on the South West Local Area Community Plan 2022/23.

 

 

6.2

The Plan comprised three sections, the first setting out information on what Local Area Committees (LACs) were, and including details of the members of the South West LAC and the officer team supporting the LAC. The second section contained specific information on the south west area, including statistical data, and the third section set out the South West Community Plan for 2022/23.

 

 

6.3

Ms Devoto reported on the funding for the LAC, both in respect of the South West Ward pots and the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), and the three themes that the Committee would focus on (Transport and Highways, Local Environment and Community and Neighbourhoods). She provided a summary of issues not included in the Plan, which it was proposed would be referred to the relevant policy committees once the Council’s new governance structures had been agreed, and concluded by reporting on what work the Committee would undertake going forward.

 

 

6.4

At the conclusion of the presentation, a series of breakout groups were organised which comprised members of the public in attendance, a Council officer and a Member of the Committee leading the discussion. Each group was asked to discuss a number of issues, including what their initial thoughts were on the Community Plan, what were the key things for 2022/23 that they thought the LAC should deliver this year and how they would like to be involved in delivering some of the actions.  The Members of each group then summarised the comments raised at each table, as follows:-

 

 

 

The general feedback in terms of the contents of the Community Plan was very positive.

 

 

 

In terms of key priorities for 2022/23, the following comments were received:-

 

 

 

·        Review of pedestrian crossings in the area

 

 

 

·        Safer routes to schools

 

-      encourage more walking and cycling, as well as having more traffic control officers

 

-      concerns regarding idling cars and parking near schools

 

-      need to expand the School Streets Projects

 

 

 

·        Need for better enforcement action regarding inappropriate/illegal parking

 

 

 

·        Need for additional activities to engage people of all ages

 

 

 

·        Firmer action and stronger enforcement required in terms of crime and anti-social behaviour. Need for improved response from the police, including outcomes and fines

 

 

 

·        Need to identify community hubs

 

 

 

·        Renewable energy

 

-     Need to look at ways in how people could become more self- sufficient

 

-     The LAC presented an ideal opportunity to look at suitable initiatives

 

 

 

·        Need to set smart targets in the Plan due to concerns as to what was actually achievable, and to include timings

 

 

 

·        Need for an increased focus on the parks in the area, including the need for additional funding for facilities

 

 

 

·        Speed Watch - look at how the public could assist in monitoring and collecting data on traffic speeds

 

 

 

·        Recycling

 

-     Look at what other items could be recycled and look at other schemes, such as leaving items out on the street  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

Update on Ward Pots and Community Infrastructure Levy funds/spend

Presentation by Denise Devoto, South West Local Area Committee Manager.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

7.1

The Committee received a presentation from Denise Devoto on the South West Ward Pots and Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) spend for 2021/22.

 

 

7.2

Ms Devoto reported on what the ward pots and CIL funds were, and referred to the allocations made from both the ward pots and through the CIL funds, to groups/organisations in each of the four wards in 2021/22.

 

 

7.3

The Committee noted the information reported as part of the presentation now made.

 

 

 

 

8.

Public Questions and Petitions

To receive any questions or petitions from members of the public.

Additional documents:

Minutes:

8.1

The Committee received the following questions from members of the public who had submitted the questions prior to the meeting:-

 

 

(a)

Tim Hodgson

 

 

 

I am unable to attend the meeting this week, but wish to give my views on Riverdale Road parking and Notre Dame School. I have sent numerous emails to Councillor Sue Alston about this issue and she has done her best to help, but I feel the only way forward is for Notre Dame School to take the issue seriously, particularly the parking at the top of Riverdale Road/Fulwood Road at school starting and finishing times.

 

 

 

The selfishness of parents is extraordinary, and one day someone will be knocked over as a result. Parents park on double yellow and single yellow lines and rarely is any action taken. The lines are pointless if wardens do not patrol the area on a regular basis (I am certain they could issue numerous fines on a daily basis if they did). Unless Notre Dame take the issue seriously, all this is hot air and a waste of time.

 

 

 

I have always felt they have little regard for the school neighbourhood. I am certain teacher parking could be negotiated with local car parks at the Florentine and Canton Orchard (but this would require a payment which Riverdale Road does not charge for). I hope you can find a way forward with the school before a pupil is injured or worse killed due to selfish and lazy parking.

 

 

 

A full written response would be sent to Mr Hodgson.

 

 

(b)

Christopher Pennell

 

 

 

As I understand it, the LAC system was set up in advance of the successful Sheffield governance referendum so that its current role is confined to pre-referendum thinking. In short, the transitional process for determining how the Council will be run may yet significantly change the role of LACs. In particular, it may be the case that that role will change in a way which requires the LACs to have significantly wider powers and broader budgets. This being so, it is extraordinarily difficult to prepare a reliable forward annual plan for a LAC when the role and powers and budget of each LAC may change within 3 months: I sympathise with your difficulty.

 

 

 

However, it is useful in the meantime to speculate about what role the LACs might have, such as:

 

 

 

1. They may have delegated powers to address specific issues in each of the seven LAC Areas, and have budgets to fund positive action on those issues. So far as LACs are currently defined, those areas where such powers and budgets exist are extraordinarily modest – and not requiring 12 councillors and several officers to spend so much time on them (as was said at the last meeting) – such as the ward pots and fly-tipping. I for one would find it wasteful of my time to attend my LAC meetings if the LAC’s executive powers remain as limited as they now are.

 

 

 

2. They may have a role  ...  view the full minutes text for item 8.