Skip to content

Agenda item

South West Local Area Committee - Proposed Spend 2022/23

a.             Presentation by Denise Devoto, South West Local Area Committee Manager

b.             South West Delivery Plan

c.              Breakout groups on proposed spend

     d.        Summary feedback from the breakout groups

     e.        Discussion and approval of the spend by Members

Decision:

6.1

Each Local Area Committee has a £100,000 budget to address local priorities, identified within their respective Community Plans.  This report sets out details of the proposed spending in respect of this £100,000 during the 2022/23 financial year.  This report gives an overview of the general categories of proposed expenditure and seeks authorisation from the South West Local Area Committee to permit the Community Services Manager, in consultation with the LAC Chair, to spend monies to address identified priorities within the Community Plan.

 

 

6.2

RESOLVED: That the South West Local Area Committee:-

 

(i)       notes the proposed anticipated expenditure against the £100,000 budget to address local priorities in the South West LAC Community Plan in 2022/23, as detailed in the report, be noted.

 

(ii)      to the extent that it is not covered by existing authority, authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure relating to the priorities set out in the report provided that:

 

         the decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair,

         the decision may not approve expenditure on any element in excess of the anticipated limit for that element set out in the report, and

         a report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.       

 

 

6.3

Reasons for Decision

 

 

 

The South West LAC is asked to note the broad allocation of funding under the priority headings identified to assist its ability to monitor its budget, and to authorise the Community Services Manager to approve expenditure above the current delegated authority in certain circumstances so that delivery of the Community Plan is not delayed.

 

 

6.4

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

 

6.4.1

 

 

 

 

6.4.2

Decisions on any expenditure above the existing authority to the Community Services Manager could be reserved to the LAC but this would delay delivery of priority actions to address specific issues identified in the Community Plan.

 

All decisions on expenditure to support Community Plan priorities could be delegated to officers.  However, this would restrict the LAC’s ability to monitor its delegated budget and delivery of the Community Plan.

 

Minutes:

6.1

The Local Area Committee (LAC) received a presentation from Denise Devoto (South West Local Area Committee Manager) on propose spend against the £100,000 budget to address local priorities in the South West LAC Community Plan 2022/23.  The South West Delivery Plan was also submitted for information.

 

 

6.2

Ms Devoto reported on the proposed spend under each of the three priority areas – Transport and Highways, Local Environment and Community and Neighbourhoods). 

 

 

6.3

At the conclusion of the presentation, a series of breakout groups were organised, which comprised members of the public, both in person and on-line, as part of the trial of hybrid meetings, a Council officer and a member of the Committee leading the discussion. Each group was asked to discuss the following:-

 

 

 

(a)  As a resident, how might you be able to support these initiatives?

 

 

 

(b)  Do you have any ideas as to what could have the greatest impact (resource permitting) to address these issues?

 

 

 

(c)  Do you have any suggestions as to things that the LAC team could explore as potential solutions?

 

 

 

(d)  Are you aware of any examples of best practice in these areas (both here and abroad)?

 

 

 

(e)  What would success look like?

 

 

6.4

The Committee Members of each group then summarised the comments raised at their respective tables, as follows:-

 

 

 

(1)  Transport and Highways

 

 

 

  • Active Travel Initiatives:-

 

 

 

-       need for secure storage facilities for bicycle, particularly electric bikes

 

-       concerns as to whether the bicycle pumps represented good value for money

 

 

 

  • Concerns regarding the levels of consultation and a lack of access for emergency vehicles on some roads

 

 

 

  • Crookes Low Traffic Neighbourhood – whilst some elements of the scheme were welcomed, there were concerns with regard to poor communications, engagement and consultation overall

 

 

 

  • Double yellow lines required at the junction of Spring Vale Road and Commonside

 

 

 

  • Requests for 20 mph zones in the area to be rolled out as soon as possible

 

 

 

  • Operation Park Safe – operated by the police, which allows the public to log incidents of inconsiderate or dangerous parking

 

 

 

  • Need to learn from the success of electric bike hire schemes in other areas. The south west would be an ideal area to trial a scheme, given the mixed terrain

 

 

 

  • No idling signs outside schools were often ignored by motorists – money would be better spent on better/increased enforcement, or having larger signs

 

 

 

  • Need to look at road safety throughout the area, and target double-yellow lines at locations of greatest need, rather than just agreeing one scheme for each Ward

 

 

 

  • School Streets had helped to improve road safety, and further consideration was needed with schools in connection with their Active Travel Plans

 

 

 

  • Need to encourage more young people to use public transport, by possibly providing free travel, as well as walking and cycling

 

 

 

  • Increased use of car pooling should be encouraged

 

 

 

  • There was an increase in traffic in Banner Cross, and there was a need to review the junction of Ecclesall Road and Psalter Lane

 

 

 

(2)  Local Environment

 

 

 

  • Dog Fouling:-

 

 

 

-       not viewed as a specific problem in Dore and Totley mainly   due to owner responsibility

 

-       need to consider whether improved, or more, signage would be better than having more bins

 

-       need for more regular emptying of dog bins

 

-       look at possible use of spray chalk to mark any fouling

 

 

 

  • Need to identify more parks and green spaces for use by the community

 

 

 

  • Some Parks Friends Groups could improve their communication to try and get more people involved, and to disseminate information better in terms of the various activities available

 

 

 

  • Support for community renewables, as well as smaller projects, such as energy efficient measures

 

 

 

  • Coppicing – use of fuel and building materials ??

 

 

 

  • Look to implement small-scale projects in parks, such as using turbines for educational projects

 

 

 

(3)  Community and Neighbourhoods

 

 

 

·         Need to support community organisations in reaching out to people, particularly those hard to reach individuals/communities to keep them informed of the various activities available to them

 

 

 

·         More emphasis needs to be given to promoting existing activities, whilst improving communicating this, such as posting details of activities on noticeboards in public places, such as libraries and GP surgeries

 

 

 

·         Look at having a friendship bench somewhere in the area, which would attract people outside, and talk to others, particularly those living on their own, of all ages

 

 

 

·         Need to look at expanding the intergenerational work being undertaken

 

 

 

·         Need to look at what crime statistics could be shared publicly, which would hopefully reduce people’s fear of crime

 

 

 

·         Need to look at how businesses in the area could assist in terms of helping young people to find employment, by offering apprenticeships or other forms of training

 

 

 

·         Support should be given to Community Transport, so that people could get out and about

 

 

6.5

RESOLVED: That the Local Area Committee:-

 

 

 

(i)         notes the proposed anticipated expenditure against the £100,000 budget to address local priorities in the South West LAC Community Plan in 2022/23, as detailed in the report: and

 

 

 

(ii)        to the extent that it is not covered by existing authority, authorises the Community Services Manager to make decisions on expenditure relating to the priorities set out in the report provided that:-

 

 

 

·           the decision is taken in consultation with the Local Area Committee Chair,

 

 

 

·           the decision may not approve expenditure on any element in excess of the anticipated limit for that element set out in the report; and

 

 

 

·           a report detailing the delegated spending decisions taken by the Community Services Manager is presented to the next Local Area Committee meeting.

 

 

6.6

Reasons for Decision

 

The South West LAC is asked to note the broad allocation of funding under the priority headings identified to assist its ability to monitor its budget, and to authorise the Community Services Manager to approve expenditure above the current delegated authority in certain circumstances so that delivery of the Community Plan is not delayed.

 

 

6.7

Alternatives Considered and Rejected

 

Decisions on any expenditure above the existing authority to the Community Services Manager could be reserved to the LAC but this would delay delivery of priority actions to address specific issues identified in the Community Plan.

 

All decisions on expenditure to support Community Plan priorities could be delegated to officers.  However, this would restrict the LAC’s ability to monitor its delegated budget and delivery of the Community Plan.

 

 

 

 

Supporting documents: